Math 275, Fall 2018:
Welcome to the class!
Class announcements and useful documents will appear here. New
material will be added at the top.
- General Information and office hours: My office is Mathematics 240A. My office telephone number is 426-3011.
I am teaching Math 187 and Math 275 in Fall 2018. My classes are M187 12--12:50 MWF, M275 9--10:15 MWF.
I am the coordinator for M488, the senior outcomes assessment activity, which meets once on a Saturday morning later in the semester in our computer lab Mathematics 136 (there will be two alternative dates TBA). I have the regular weekly PBC meeting at a time TBA, and logic seminar weekly at a time TBA. I am proposing to have time wih my graduate student 1-3 Thursdays, and class office hours MWF tentatively 10:30--11:30 pm and 3--4 pm. At other times MWF from about 8:30 am until about 5 pm I'm very possibly to be found in my office. TTh I do not know what my routine will be.
Comments about homework
Your homework is on Webassign. I'll be making the class code available shortly after I finish editing this page on Sunday the 19th. I will try to follow my usual practice of making homework due two days after the class period in which I lecture it, to allow you to ask questions about homework at the beginning of the intervening day.
It is also worth noting that I am recycling Dr. Ultman's assignments from last semester: please be sware that I will be following a routine of reading the assignment before each lecture, rereading it immediately after the lecture and possibly adding a problem based on how things went.
I will also give roughly one quiz or written assignment each week so that I have some familiarity with your written work before the first exam.
Test IV, Final Exam, and Course Letter Grades
Here find the grades posted by ID number on your Test IV and final exam paper.
Test IV and Final Review
Here is all the review material from old tests in one large document. You will get the same thing on paper tomorrow (Wed) in class.
Here are Ms Weaver's solutions.
In this directory find the source materials for Friday's handout on surface integrals and the divergence theorem.
Test III Grades
Here find the grades posted by ID number on your Test III paper.
Here find solutions to Test III. The big take home problems have setup and calculator answers; the inclass problems have full work.
Test III Information
Test III will cover sections 15.1, 15.2, 15.3. 15.4, 15.6, 15.7, 15.8 (15.8 to be lectured Monday).
Here are some materials:
Test II Grades and Distribution
Here find the grades posted by ID number on your Test II paper, and also in ranked order so you can see the distribution.
Here are the solutions to Test II.
- Wednesday, 10/2: further review of optimization. Posting materials for Test II.
- Wednesday Sept 12: We had a day of active test review working on two sample test papers.
It will be to your advantage to turn in your marked-up test review paper to me at the exam or on Monday
(no, you can't have it while you are taking your test); I will give a homework check for evidence of participation (this is optional; there is no penalty for not doing it). Here are the LA's solutions to the sample test papers, which may be useful to you for study purposes. Every time I click on that link, my computer wants to print it! I have no idea why, and I don't know if you will have the same experience. I haven't posted solutions to the second quiz yet, but they will appear, if not today then tomorrow.
Make sure that you remember to get yourself a non-graphing scientific calculator for the test!
- Monday Sept 10: visiting lecture from Dr. Teitler.
- Wednesday, Sept 5: We started talking about section 13.2. I pushed the due dates for relevant assignments back because we have not finished talking about them. In fact, I appear to be doing things roughly in the reverse order to what Dr. Ultman did; I have been talking about position, velocity and acceleration before talking about parameterization of tangent lines, which I will discuss on Friday. I think that assignments 8 and 9 are both fairly short, and I have them both due Wednesday before the exam. There is a practice set on computing vector derivatives due on Monday. Information about the pending exam will appear soon!
- Friday, August 24th: I lectured basic definitions and computations in sections 12.3 and 12.4. I didn't change the first 12.3/4 assignment, which already has the correct Wednesday due date. There will be one or two days more on these sections, depending on how Monday goes.
The dot product pre-assignment really is due Monday.
- Wednesday, August 22nd. I finished lecturing section 12.2. I changed the due dates for all three outstanding assignments to Monday (which is when they should be!). Notice the worksheet on the dot product discusses things we havent done yet: it is prep for the coming lecture. If you have trouble with Webassign, keep me posted.
- Monday August 20th. We will talk about the syllabus and I will lecture 12.1 and start to lecture 12.2.
I changed the due date for the first assignment to Friday (but this does not necessarily mean that I will change the due date for the second assignment).
If you do not know how to access Webassign, please come see me.
Test I Grades
Here are the test grades
posted by the ID number on your paper.
Test I Solutions
Here are solutions to Test I.
Materials for Test I
We have not talked about arc length (I'm covering section 13.3 after the exam). Nor have we (or will we, unless we need it for some particular problem) talked about traces of quadric surfaces (section 12.5, which we did not cover).
- Here is My Spring 2015 Test I.
- Here is Test I from Fall 2013, with solutions.
- Here is Test I from Summer 2013, with solutions.
- Here is Test I from Spring 2006, again with solutions.
Materials for Test II
Please note that you should look at the Test I sample papers (now at the bottom of the class page) for questions on arc length.
Test II sample papers. Note that we are farther ahead than all of these, so in fact we also need Test III papers, supplied below.
You should recognize that some topics in the Test II papers are things we have not covered.
Fall 13 Test II
Spring 15 Test II with solutions
Spring 15 Test II
Summer 13 Test II
Spring 06 Test II
Test III sample papers.
Spring 15 Test III
Spring 15 Test III with solutions
Fall 13 Test III with solutions
Summer 13 Test III
Spring 06 Test III
Solutions to the Test II Review Exercise
Here are Ms. Weaver's solutions to the in-class test review. It's possible that I will post some additional solutions to specific problems, but I do not promise this.