Joe Champion, Mathematics Education at Boise State University
I’m an associate professor of mathematics education professor in the Department of Mathematics at Boise State University. Previously, I was an assistant professor of mathematics at Texas A&M University – Corpus Christi (2010-2013) after completing a Ph.D. in Educational Mathematics from the University of Northern Colorado in 2010.
|E-mail (preferred contact)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Office location||Education Building #443D|
I’ve been teaching mathematics since Fall 2001. I teach a wide range of courses, particularly for elementary education majors, secondary mathematics education majors, and graduate students in mathematics education. I have a passion for helping students build a realistic sense of confidence in mathematics, and I often work with others to develop courses that emphasize project-based, active learning strategies, and appreciation for the “hard fun” of learning mathematics.
I am constantly learning new things, and I spend much of my time working with teams of scholars to conduct educational research. My research interests include academic performance, persistence, and self-efficacy in STEM, mathematical and statistical modeling with educational applications, machine learning, mathematics teacher education, and the design and development of mathematics education websites.
Here are some examples of my scholarship on the design and development of math education websites:
- ETEAMScc.com – a math and science teacher preparation partnership funded by NSF.
- AMTE.net, the online home for the leading professional organization for people like me
- DoMathTogether.com – engaging problems for students, math activities for teachers and families
Broadening access and achievement in mathematics requires sustained connections to the community. Here are a few of the ways I support education outside my teaching and research:
- IDoTeach, co-Director, undergraduate secondary STEM teacher education programm
- Modeling & Data Analysis Literacy (MoDAL), co-Director, large-scale summer institute for secondary Idaho math teachers
- Regional Math Center, Assoc. Director, state-funded professional development center for Idaho teachers of math
- Summer Academy, Curriculum Director, a five-week day camp for elementary and middle grades students
- Boise Math Circles, co-founder/co-director, a community for students and teachers of many ages
- Math Concurrent Enrollment, a collaboration with local teachers to teach college math in high schools
- AMTE, AVP for Web Development, influential community of “teachers of teachers of mathematics”
- Living-Learning Communities, Faculty in Residence (2015-2018), a first-year residential academic program