Next: Text and Class Activities
This course is still evolving; we continue to learn things from
teaching it, and we hope to use what we have learned to make it a
better course. It is definitely a challenging course, and you will
need to work hard at it, but if you do it will prepare you well for
further courses in mathematics and computer science.
- To give you a feeling for what mathematics is really about
and help you learn to think mathematically.
- To help you learn to use the language of mathematics
correctly and effectively.
- To familiarize you with the foundational ideas on
which all of mathematics is based.
- To acquaint you with several major topics in discrete
mathematics--topics that are interesting both for their own sake
and for their applications, especially in computer science.
- To help you learn how to construct rigorous mathematical
- To convince you that mathematics is a creative activity with
an aesthetic component.
Thu Apr 16 09:35:31 MDT 1998