Alan R. Hausrath
Department of Mathematics
Boise State University
Boise, ID 83725
- Ph.D., 1972, Brown University, Applied Mathematics
(advisor: Professor Jack Hale)
- M.Ed., 1976, Washington State University, Pre-College Mathematics
- Sc.B., 1967, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Mathematics
- August 1976 - present: Special Lecturer, Assistant Professor,
Associate Professor, then Professor, Department of Mathematics, Boise
State University, currently Chair (leaves of absence July 1978 - June
1979 and July 1990 - June 1991, sabbatical leave January - June, 1986)
- July 1990 - June 1991: Fulbright Lecturer, Department of Mathematics, University of Botswana, Gaborone, Botswana, Africa
- January 1986 - June 1986: Visiting Scholar, Departamento de
Matemáticas, Facultad de Ciencias Físicas y Matemáticas,
Universidad de Chile,
- August 1978 - July 1979: Visiting Professor, Departamento de
Matemáticas, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de los Andes,
Mérida, Venezuela. My duties were to teach undergraduate and
graduate courses in mathematics.
- August 1977 - May 1978: Taught courses for the Department of
Bilingual and Multicultural Education, Boise State University
- January 1976 - June 1976: Part-time mathematics curriculum
consultant for the Washington State Migrant Education Center,
- July 1975 - June 1976: Participant in the Mathematical Scholars
Training Program, Washington State University, an N.S.F. funded
program to acquaint mathematicians with the problems and opportunities
for improvement in pre-college mathematics education; field experience
portion spent in the public schools of Sunnyside, Washington; one
quarter working at each level: primary, intermediate, junior high
school, senior high school.
- September 1971 - August 1976: Assistant Professor, Department of
Mathematics and Statistics, University of Pittsburgh (leave of absence
September 1975 -August 1976)
Referee for Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School
Speaker at a number of mathematics teachers' conferences in the
National Science Foundation Grants Received
Pre-College Teacher Development in Science Program, 1977
Grant awarded to support a workshop for secondary teachers entitled
``Applied Mathematics in the Secondary School" and designed to
increase their knowledge of applied mathematics
Science in Developing Countries Program, 1982, 1983
Grants awarded to send teams of lecturers on applied mathematics to
Colombia, South America. Under these awards, and two others received
by colleagues, I lectured (in Spanish) in Cali, Medellin,and Bogota,
Colombia during the summers of 1981, 1982, 1983, and 1987.
Latin America Cooperative Science Program, 1986-1989
Grant awarded to support my joint research with Professor Raul
Manasevich of the Universidad de Chile
American Mathematical Society
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
Idaho Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- What are functional differential equations, Colloquium talk given at the
joint University of Pittsburgh-Carnegie Mellon Mathematics Colloquium,
- Una demostración rigorosa que las soluciones periódicas de las ecuaciones
de Volterra y Lotka tienen períodos distintos, Second Venezuelan Congress of
Mathematicians, March 29-31, 1979, Cumaná, Venezuela.
- Periodic integral manifolds for periodically perturbed Volterra-Lotka
equations, Colloquium talk given at Washington State University and the
University of Montana in spring 1980.
- Variedades integrales periódicas para ecuaciones de Volterra y Lotka
periodicamente perturbadas, Talk given at the First Colombian Symposium on
Functional Analysis, Medellin, Colombia, August 3-6, 1981.
- Periodic solutions of periodically perturbed non-degenerate systems,
(with R. Manasevich), contributed talk given at S.I.A.M. summer meeting, July
- Some results about periodic solutions of periodically perturbed
non-degenerate systems, (with R. Manasevich), invited one hour talk given at
the First U.S.-Chile International Conference on Nonlinear Analysis and
Differential Equations, Santiago, April 1985.
- Algunos resultados sobre sistemas no-degenerados, an extension of 
given at the joint seminar on nonlinear analysis and differential equations,
Santiago, Chile, April 1986.
- Periodic solutions of periodic differential equations with small parameter
in a Banach space, contributed twenty minute talk to the Applications of
Functional Analysis to Differential and Integral Equations Conference, Idaho
State University, April 1987.
- Algunos resultados sobre sistemas no-degenerados, invited talk at the
XIIIth National Mathematics Congress, Bogota, Colombia, July-August 1987.
Published as: Algunos resultados sobre ecuaciones no degeneradas, Lecturas
Matemáticas IX(1988), 43-53.
- Some results about periodic solutions of periodic differential
equations, Colloquium talk, Boise State University, December 1988.
- Predator-prey systems with refuges, contributed talk at the 3-Day
Seminar on Cell Population Dynamics and Related Topics, Provo, Utah, November
- Analysis of a model predator-prey system with refuges, University of
Montana Colloquium talk, April, 1990.
SHORT COURSES WHICH HAVE (POSSIBLY)
RESULTED IN PUBLISHED NOTES
(ALL PUBLISHED OR AWAITING
PUBLICATION BY THE SOCIEDAD
COLOMBIANA DE MATEMÁTICAS)
- Modelos matemáticos en biología, 1981.
- Modelos matemáticos en biología II, 1982.
- Metodos alternativos de presentar la matemática de la escuela media, 1982.
- Ecuaciones diferenciales aplicadas, 1983.